Monday, June 7, 2010

There's Compromise and then there's Bad Combo

My apologies for not posting the last month.  Nothing exciting or worth spieling on happened and on top of which, thankfully, I have picked up a ton of extra hours at work and I've been too exhausted to log in.  I did have one thing that I was working on and it took me a couple of days to upload all the pictures and once I posted it officially, it wasn't how I wanted it to look so I removed it.  Note to self: when deleting a post, you delete even the saved draft.  At that point, I was too frustrated to start over so when I get the energy, I'll make a second attempt.  


A few months ago, I was driving to a Vietnamese restaurant with a friend of mine and I saw this sign.  Of course, I was confused by it so I had to take a picture.






Now, if you read it the way I did, you'd question it too.  Is it a fried chicken joint or is it a chinese place?  I never made any attempts to walk in there to even look at their menu to confirm one way or another.  From the outside looking into the windows, it seems clean enough but then again there wasn't exactly a line of people waiting to be served.  In fact, there were no people inside.  


Then at the end of April, I happen to be in L.A. with the same friend and I saw this:




Yeah.  Could someone explain this to me?  And secondly, is this a chain establishment?  And if you've dined here before; please let me know.  I'm curious but I'm not THAT curious to find out for myself.


This reminds me of the restaurant in the movie Black Dynamite.  Roscoe's Chili and Donuts. It's two very different combinations put together and makes neither one sound appealing.  (Chicken and Waffles)


Actually yesterday, I had another encounter with, coincidentally, the same gal pal.  We headed to a co-worker's house to pick up some furniture that she was giving away.  On the way there she says, "I'm in the mood for either sushi or tacos."


I'm sitting in the back seat with my head cocked to one side letting that statement settle on my mind.  My response was this, "What the hell kind of a combo is that?!"


"I said one or the other, not together!"


A couple of hours later we're sitting at Del Taco and lo and behold she, according to her, unconsciously ordered two fish tacos.  Now that's a compromise.  It's the best of both worlds.  


Got any crazy combos you tried or heard of?  Leave a comment, I'd love to read them.  And knowing Herr Falco, I'm sure I'll get a few from him.



No comments: