Sunday, January 17, 2010

Eavesdropping Through an Open Window

I'm really loving California weather. It doesn't snow here, which is a huge plus considering that I grew up in the north Midwest and it doesn't have the humidity that Florida prides itself every summer. Having said that, this last week it's been unseasonably warmer than it has the last month. So this evening, I cracked open my living room window to get a bit of the crisp, January air to freshen my apartment. My picture window faces another building that angles away from mine with a courtyard in between both buildings. I heard a lot of commotion coming from a neighbor across the way. What actually got my attention is that, while I was Facebooking in the main room, I heard something tumble down a flight of stairs, catapult off the landing and then...I waited for it...Crash! The sonic waves of breaking glass traveled into my living room.

It was like listening to a potential car collision. When people hear squealing tires , all ears tune in and anticipate the 'Bang!' and 'Crash!' to follow. Some might even imagine the trademark Michelin rubber leaves behind. Or Firestone, whichever you prefer.

This, of course, had my full attention. I heard a deep voice solemnly say, "Dude, I'm sorry."
My neighbor replied but his voice was too soft to pick up. I had to conclude that although he may have forgiven his friend for accidentally breaking something, he very well couldn't be too angry; his friend was helping him move stuff out of the apartment. And from the tone of voice I guess it's safe to assume that even though he may have been disappointed, he probably didn't view it as a huge loss. It's likely that it's another broken item that can be easily categorized on the long list of casualties.

I know, for as many times as I've moved in the last decade, my BIA (broken in action)and MIA list has to be pretty long.

Upon hearing this short, audio encounter, I couldn't help but be reminded of the differences when listening to conversations that involve participants of the same sex.

Now for anyone that has either lived under the same roof or worked in the same environment where the percentage of one gender outnumbers their counterparts, they can tell you that there is a large difference in emotional boundaries and a barrier concerning certain topics of discussion.

For example, if we take the same scenario and replace the two guys with two ladies, then the reactions would be different. Rewind the scene in your head and imagine what could happen. If I may...

...Tumble down a flight of stairs, catapult off the landing, and then...Crash!...

...Pretty different?

Now as for our distinguished gentlemen, I'm pretty sure that I can count on one hand the amount of times I could actually join in the conversation. They usually mull over sports, cars, or video games and I know very little about each. Well, when it comes to statistics, specs, and D&D, then I haven't a clue. That's usually about the time when my eyes widen and my attention begins to focus towards my fingernails. Now I'm sure they talk about things on a much deeper level but never in a group setting especially when I'm present. That kind of conversation is usually reserved for a one-on-one setting and normally with a drink of some sort in one hand and something to fidget with in the other.

It's no secret that women talk about emotional things, sentimental things. I can say that we have a medley of topics, most of which are based on an empathetic nature. But on the light-hearted side: chick flicks or tv shows, soap operas or novelas, fashion & beauty, books, talk shows, and even recipes tend to make the cut.

The truth is that these are just some of the differences that make us a little more mysterious, a little more appealing. But every once in awhile, you'll overhear, through an open window, a guy ask your neighbor, "Did you watch Grey's Anatomy last night...McDreamy?"

(Sigh) Never mind.

No comments: