Sunday, February 21, 2010

Paperbacks and Hardcovers

Books. Books. Books.

I was never much of a reader while growing up, especially when it was required for school. I always hated book reports! But somewhere in the last decade, I developed a love for this calming pasttime.

I like going to Barnes & Noble or Borders browsing through the shelves with a coffee in hand. Or finding a used or bargain bookstore; I seem to get lost in these places.

Yesterday, I was online pre-ordering a book and browsing through its massive selection and came across an advertisement for Kindle for Blackberries. Seeing that I own a Blackberry, it piqued my interest, so I researched deeper. As far as I could tell, it's not designed for my model. I wasn't too disappointed, however, I researched further on digital readers. It's absolutely cool! For an avid reader like my mom, who can go through a 700+ page novel in a day, a digital reader can be a good thing for her, especially when she travels. Then I thought about getting one myself but after some thought, I dismissed it.

Earlier in the day, my sister and I were discussing the Twilight Saga (I did finish it, by the way). The same conversation picked up again hours later in her kitchen and somehow segued into my shopping online for books. We were discussing this issue about digital readers and we both felt the same way. It's a cool gadget but there's just something about reading a REAL book with REAL paper pages to turn. It's not that I'm apprehensive about everything going digital but a real book feels authentic, nostalgic.

Considering that both our jobs require total computer time, the last thing we want is to look at another screen at the end of our day. So, my apologies to digital books, I can't conform. Unless, I am a speed reader and a frequent traveler, old school reading has got you beat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't conform either! I like to underline passages, dog-ear pages, and throw books into my purse. Can't do that with an e-reader. Real books FTW!