Sunday, February 7, 2010

Reading "New Moon" Part 3

I cannot believe I read 75% of this book in one day. I think the last time I did that, before this series, was when I was reading Harry Potter several years ago. Depending on the book, it could take me days or weeks to finish one. I'll admit that our rainfall yesterday was a contributing factor to my staying indoors. I went out for a couple of hours to do some shopping but gave up because A.) It was a downpour, B.) There were too many people out driving which made me nervous, and C.) I was tired of being cold and wet from running to and from the car. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed staying in; put on a pair of lounge pants and a T-shirt, ate a bowl of chili, turned the TV off and just read while listening to the rain. It was the curl-up-on-the-couch kinda weather.

So the story is getting better and more adventurous but I couldn't stop myself from slamming the book closed a few times in annoyance and frustration over the writing style. Why can't I get past this?? It makes me cringe in the same way when I hear people sing off-key. It's like watching a B-rated movie and wondering how on Earth they got the budget for that crap.

Page after page, chapter after chapter, I was drowning in sappy dialogue, useless metaphors, and adjective overkill. She doesn't quite know how to paint the picture well enough to be mysterious and suspenseful. If the book is written in first person then I, myself, as a reader, shouldn't really know things before he or she does, right? Some things were just too obvious, too blatant that I kept wondering how our bookworm heroine couldn't put two and two together.

I hate to say it but there were a couple of times I read through a passage and didn't comprehend it at all. It just seemed like there wasn't any flow to her run-ons or even a single, coherent thought. I know the brain can have a multitude of thoughts shooting almost simultaneously across the synapses but it doesn't mean you have it to write it all down. And on top of my irritation, I was too lazy to go back and read it over. So herein lies the question, why am I still going through this? If I'm that irritated, then why can't I just simply put the book down? Curiosity, I suppose. I think I want to know how it all ends.

Well, with that being said, on to book three.

Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS Network

No comments: