Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Media can be a Royal Nuisance

It's that time again for another British royal wedding and indications of it are plastered everywhere; the Internet, magazine covers, newspapers, TV, etc.  The media stream is flooding the public with details of the dress, the ring, cake, guests, blah blah blah.  And, of course, businesses are going to bank on mock-up versions of their wedding details.  To be honest, I don't really care.  I just don't think it comes as a big surprise to anyone that they are getting married.   I think in most minds, we all thought, 'It's about time!'.  Don't get me wrong, I think they make a cute couple and I'm happy for them.  But unfortunately it's bittersweet timing.  More people are more concerned about economic hardships, the inflation of gas prices, the crisis in Libya, the aftermaths of Haiti and now Japan than they would about a wedding.  But on the upside of it even in the wake of global disasters and wars, there is still love and hope for a future.  There is something positive happening amidst all the negative that's saturating this world.  Like I said, it's bittersweet.

I had my thoughts that I believed I was the only one who felt blasé about this whole wedding ordeal but then I came across this article today in the Associated Press regarding this very thing.  I know it can't be easy being in the public eye especially for a milestone such as this.  But I think the media is making too much of a big deal out of this than it really is.  However, I give my congratulations to the young couple and I wish them all the best.  But let's just talk about something else, shall we?

Here is the link to the article I referred earlier: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_britain_royal_wedding_fatigue 

No comments: