Thursday, December 31, 2009

T minus...

Here we are quickly approaching another year! Do we pronounce it Twenty-Ten or Two Thousand Ten?? At this moment we've got 12 hours to go; by way of California. I'm grateful that I've lived this long to see this date but to be quite honest, it feels just like any other day. This is the one day out of the year, no one is late. We all show up hours early just to be right on time. It's funny to think this whole day revolves solely around one second. It's the day when everyone wants to text or tweet or tweext exactly at the same time. Unfortunately, our friends may not get the tweext and if it happens to go through, they may get it at 3:00 AM, in which case defeats the entire purpose for sending it at the stroke of midnight in the first place.
However, this time around I'm ringing in the new year at work. It's okay, I'm not upset by this. I'd rather be there than being smooshed in a crowded bar with my girlfriends surrounded by a hundred of our new BFFs. Afraid that the one guy I was trying to avoid all night will be the one guy I kiss at midnight. No, thank you. It's good that I'm working. I get to pull in some holiday pay, just another perk for working at the hospital. Not to mention, seeing the first newborns of the new decade. With that sentiment, I'm not too disappointed for missing another night of drunken strangers trying to sing and keep in tune of "Auld Lang Syne". Besides, who can remember the lyrics to this song of tradition anyway? We sing it once a year plus the fact that we've been tipping the bottle since 6pm. Or for my dedicated-to-partying friends; an early start at noon or slightly earlier. Unfortunately, I'm not kidding. Once I hear that sound of the bottle opening...pkishhh...their celebration begins.
The new year is about a second chance at change or adjustment. Changing the way we do things or the way we think. Adjusting bad habits to better our lifestyle.
I have to learn to stop writing '09 from now on. This new task might take me awhile, and by 'awhile' I mean 'months' or 'weeks' if I'm lucky. I just got used to writing the number of the month. Now I gotta train my hand and brain into writing a whole new numerical suffix?! I actually wrote '06 a few months ago. What the hell is wrong with me? I wasn't even close. It could've been worse, I could have written 1909. Then I'd HAVE to start worrying about myself.
The New Year gives us that second chance to make or renew a resolution and, for all intents and purposes, to keep it. A self-proposal we all know darn well it won't last past January. I think it should be called "Janolutions". Before the summer months begin to creep up, we promise ourselves to get rid of that "HOLIDAY" weight we've been carrying around since God only knows. Or putting an end to smoking or too much tv watching or letting junk mail take over the office. Or, on the other hand, staying in touch with old friends, no matter how busy we get.
Whatever your resolution is this year, I hope that it stays with you and blesses you throughout 2010.

Happy New Year!

No comments: